Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hymn Highlight

For the past month or so, my eight-year-old daughter's favorite bedtime lullaby has been hymn #223, "Have I Done Any Good?"  As I have sung it to her night after night, I have pondered the visiting teaching applications that are found within the lyrics.  In fact, even going beyond visiting teaching and including the entire sisterhood of Relief Society, the lyrics are such a worthwhile checklist for examining ourselves to see how well we're supporting one another.

Have I done any good in the world today? 
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad, and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today, because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed me most was I there?


If, after asking ourselves these questions, we find that we're lacking, the chorus encourages us to change:

Then wake up, and do something more than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.

The second verse instructs us further:

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.


The month of October is speedily slipping away!  It is already half gone.  How is your visiting teaching coming along?  I know we all get very busy, but I love how the second verse reminds us to "do something today." 

By the way, did you know that the Church's music website allows you to choose a hymn and then listen to it?  You can even listen to selected parts.  So, for example, if you'd like to learn the alto part, you can hear the alto part by itself.  You can also see the scripture references for the hymn, and click on them to read the scripture!  You'll also see who wrote the music and the text, as well as information about the tune and the meter.  Try it out!  Just click here to choose a hymn.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Trenya! What a wonderful job you did on this article. I'll be singing this song as I clean my house today!

    ReplyDelete